Missing cassettes and satisfaction

I recently re-purchased (my cassette tape came up missing) the album Little Red Riding Hood by the Lost Dogs. It is a great album and the more I listen to it the more I am coming to appreciate and enjoy it. The song Imagine That is an absolute classic, but it is the song You Satisfy that got me thinking this morning. There is an oft-repeated line in the song where they sing "Oh Lord You satisfy...".

You satisfy. It sounds so active as if God is here satisfying me. And it sounds that way because that is exactly what He does.

That got me to thinking about how many times I chase this, that, or the other thing in a quest for some type of satisfaction. When it is all done I realize that I am satisfied, but the fact that I am, and the quality of the "this, that, or the other" that satisfied me is not inherent in the thing that I chased. It rests in God Himself and His active work of satisfying me.

Then my thoughts turn to the chasing itself. It seems to me that there is a lot of the Christian life that is chasing and pursuing and that is a good thing. I think the more I chase after God the more satisfied I am in Him. But, it seems to me that if I simply sit and receive...sit and meditate on what He has given me and what He has done for me, there is a great deal of satisfaction that should, indeed, flood my soul. It is in the active reception of the drumbeat of His constant activity where He satisfies me that sets Him apart from every other god and thing.

You do satisfy, God. Please teach me what that means and how that should move me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

Where are the good machines?

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04