A clue to the meaning of life

"...there is a clue, a clue to meaning in life, and that clue comes in relationships." - Ravi Zacharias

"You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our hearts are restless until they find their rest in You." - St. Augustine

I was listening to a Let My People Think podcast from Ravi Zacharias the other day and the quote from him that precedes Augustine's in this post almost staggered me in its implications. So simple, yet volumes could be written on it. Can we ignore the fact that our relationships in our lives are where we rest much of who we are? Can I divorce my theological or philosophical musings from the fact that I am a husband, father, son, uncle, employee or from the myriad of other ways I relate to the people in my life? Can I simply and dipassoinately apply my intellect to the world around me and give no thought to fact that I am His and, wonder of wonders, He is mine?

I love Augutine's quote as well (used by Zacharias to underscore his point). I notice that the great saint didn't mention that our rest was found in certain principles that we hold to or in the Bible itself. It was found when we embrace the fact that we were created to be in a love relationship with God and we know that the relationship that He restored has its genesis in His Son. And what a lover His Son is as well!

It is more than biology or a desire to preserve the species this love that I find between me and the people I relate to. It is what I was made to be. It was what I was made to be. A lover. And when I love I am at my best for, at that point, I am found to be in Him and He is found to be in me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer