DVD playback geekamundo

I haven't had a pure tech post in a while, so I thought I would blog about the resolution of an issue I was having with my DVD playback on my Dell Latitude D610. I noticed that a lot of the DVDs I was playing using any player (but in this case Windows Media Player 10.0) were played back at a very low volume. I went round and round with this issue for a while and actually changed a couple of things that made a big difference.

The first thing I did was re-install the sound drivers for the system. I found the right ones on the Dell website and had an easy time getting them installed. A reboot helped in the process. I think I may have been messing around with them to get the sound going on my Ubuntu installation that is set up as the second OS in my dual-boot mode.

The second thing I did was download and install an application called AC3Filter. This is a great little program that I configured to run automatically on DVD playback. It turns out that increasing the gain (on the Main tab in the Properties window of the applciation) gave me quite a boost in volume.

So now I can get the DVDs that are played through the laptop to be a little too lound if I wanted to. All in all a decent solution and a testimony to the power of access to information.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

Where are the good machines?

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04