Purgatory Sandwich with Mustard

It's the beat
Don't give me your opinion, show me a chapter and a verse

- It's the beat, Deliverance

Those who know me find one of my more endearing (annoying) qualities is my affinity for Christian heavy metal music. I remember talking with my second college roommate about the music he introduced me to and being incredulous when he mentioned that it was controversial in greater Christendom. But that is another story.

One of my favorite metal bands, Deliverance, recorded an album called What a Joke and it really wasn't all that good especially as the follow up to their Weapons of Warfare album which is till considered by some to be one of the best Christian metal albums of all time and as the precursor to their "change of direction" album Stay of Execution. Well, they had a song called "It's the beat" where the above lyrics came from. As unremarkable as that song was on an equally unremarkable album the two lines above really struck me and have stuck with me all this time.

There are so many things that I have an opinion on and that offend me at times. There are people that walk away from churches and declare very useful expositions of key Scriptural principles as unfit (yet another story) simply based on their opinion or a perception. I am less patient with people like this than I ought to be.

And there is a part of me, hopefully a righteous part, that is not interested in their opinion. They shouldn't be interested in mine either. Show me a chapter and a verse. If you can't do that then please hold your tongue. And please tell me to shut up if I wander down that path too far.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer