Definitions, definitions, definitions

Lord Polonius: What do you read, my lord?
Hamlet: Words, words, words.
Lord Polonius: What is the matter, my lord?
Hamlet: Between who?
Lord Polonius: I mean, the matter that you read, my lord.
(Hamlet II, ii, 191-195)

I used to be much more careful about assuming I knew what someone was talking about when they asked me a question. Recent assumptions have come back to bite me. For example, when I was in college people knew that I was a Christian. A guy named Mike Hall (whom we called the "Dude") asked me one day if I was a Holy Roller. Now, it would have been easy for me to say "yes." Even though it is an old term for a believer in Christ I guess it could fit me at the time. Well, in a shot of wisdom, I asked him what he meant by Holy Roller. His explanation of what he believed one to be was so bizarre I started to laugh a little and said "no."

I was in a discussion with someone about legalism and he defined it as the presence of ritual. I said that was a bad definition and explained to him my definition of legalism, liberty, and license. I think that had we defined terms up front we would have had a shorter discussion or the discussion would have gone a different route entirely.

Recently we have been receiving emails about the new buzz word in Christian circles these days: relevance. Now, whether you are "for" or "against" relevance today there is room, I believe, to actually define what relevance is and, in so doing, define what it is not. That would help us avoid strawman arguments that I see in most of the literature that I read that tout its benefits or bemoan its effect.


Powered by ScribeFire.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer