Theological statements - part 3

This post is about my definition of a theological statement and a further statement that individuals, not groups, are the only ones who we can apply theological statements to with any accuracy. This post is more of the same, but goes a bit deeper on why individuals are the only ones who can be accurately described by a theological statement. It does not matter what I call myself or which group I belong to as the truth does not lie in creed, doctrine, or manifesto. It lies in the heart. This is not some sort of Disney theology for that does not frustrate people. But this frustrates me.

Why am I frustrated? Because I want to both attain and hold onto personal peace and prosperity. In the unknown I am unsettled. In the dark is where I find my poverty. How am I to know where to dig to lay my sure foundation unless I know what lies beneath my feet? When and unto whom should I draw my curtains? I need to know. So I force myself into knowledge. And, in so doing, I take the place of God and act less creaturely than I ought.

Just yesterday my wife and I were talking about how we are working on our 27th year of marriage. Now as the usual jokes flew about how amazing it is we made it this far I could not help but realize, again, that I have no wisdom apart from God himself. It is not like I found the secret to a happy marriage or somehow mustered the will to desire my wife above every earthly thing. No - this was all given to me. Literally. God gave it to me. And not because I am something special, but because he wanted to. He simply loved me and wanted to show me wonderful things.

So whose heart is the wellspring of these theological statements? Not mine, but God's. Drawing close to God's heart and placing mine in his is the only task of this worshipper. The unknown darkness reminds me of how frail and even perverse I am. Yet it should soothe rather than rattle me for in my weakness his strength is perfected. Doesn't the cross teach us just that? Do I even want to abandon myself to that extent?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer