I hate that part the most of all

'Cause I was built for glory, I was made to last
God formed these feet to walk golden streets when this hard life is passed
Say, "He's doing well on the other side" if anybody asks
Say I was built for glory, I was made to last.  Built for Glory, Made to Last - The Lost Dogs

I have been to my share of funerals and some rather significant ones of late. Out of everything that is presented at the ones I have attended there is nothing I hate more than the grave site. In fact, I would rather carry 100 caskets 100 miles than spend a single minute staring at one perched a top the hole left by freshly dug ground.

Now don't get me wrong, there is nothing comforting seeing the body during the calling hours as it lies unzipped from the soul. But somehow it seems less jarring than the grave. At least I can see it. At least it us "up here". At least it is not in darkness disintegrating and dissolving to dust. It never looks perfect, natural, or even close to alive, but it has not been neglected. In fact, it has been cared for rather well hasn't it?

But the grave, the place where Jesus wept in the Gospel of John, the grave is the coldest place. The dark, wet earth that has been disturbed only to devour another dead one; the row of chairs set in place for contemplation of the way of all flesh; the tent to imperfectly shield me from the elements that the deceased will no longer feel. You can have all of it. I will have none of it.

Thanks be to the God and Father of my Lord Jesus Christ the grave is not my destiny. Not now and since the foundation of the world not ever. He never wished me there. His kind eyes have seen something much greater for me. This cold earth nor hellfire has claim on me. Only he does. And when his claim is made more evident to all than it is now I will be stilled. But only for a time. Such a short time. Then I will know as I am known. Partially, yes, but more completely than ever. 

God? Why do you love me so? Why have I been given share in your Son's reward?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer