"Go. And sin...just a little." Part 1

Straightening up, Jesus said to her, “Woman, where are they? Did no one condemn you?” She said, “No one, Lord.” And Jesus said, “I do not condemn you, either. Go. From now on sin no more.” - John 8:10-11

God hates sin. That may even be too little to say because, well, to my wife's chagrin, I hate strawberries. But if I was hungry enough, I would eat them. God can never be "hungry enough" or in a different state of mind where he would suddenly find some sort of affinity for sin. It would never happen. He. Loathes. It. Everything about him literally screams out at the thought of even the slightest sin.

So what is sin? Sin literally means "missing the mark". So, God says for me to do this, and I don't do it. I missed the mark. I have sinned. He may also say not to do something. If I do it anyway, I missed the mark. I sinned. The "problem" with God is that he never says that it is OK to miss the mark. Even once. But, we come to find out, that is actually a good problem. A really good problem. 

I know that God is holy which means he is set apart from all of us and that "set apartness" is rooted in his absolute moral perfection. He has never done wrong and never even desires to do wrong. That makes him quite a bit different from me. This is the beginning and the end of his loathing of sin. Yet, there is a wrinkle there that has to do with his relationship to his creation. To us. To me.

God knows, beyond a doubt, that sin destroys. He was there when sin destroyed his perfect creation in Genesis chapter 3. He was there when sin was destroying my life. It grieves him. He hates to see the impact that sin continually has on his creation and on the lives of the people he loves. 

That is one reason why he hates it so much and that is the vein that will run through the series of posts that I would like to make on this topic. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

Where are the good machines?

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04