Except for the Lord

I was blessed that I had parents that loved (and still love) God. Through the sacrifices they made to send me to authentic Catholic schools from K-12 and their insistence on me going with them to Mass every single week (and don't even get me started on Holy Week - I regularly blow my boys' minds with stories about that!) I was introduced to and began to love God like they did. He has been my rock these many years and they made sure he was at the forefront of my mind and heart.

I have been stressed lately in so many areas and this morning I was reminded of a hymn we sang when I was a boy called Come to the Water and it resonated with me in a deep way. I was thankful I was alone because no one wants to see me when God reminds me of how needy I am and how rich he is:

O let all who thirst; Let them come to the water
And let all who have nothing; Let them come to the Lord:
Without money, without price; Why should you pay the price
Except for the Lord?

And let all who seek; Let them come to the water
And let all who have nothing; Let them come to the Lord:
Without money, without strife; Why should you spend your life
Except for the Lord?

And let all who toil; Let them come to the water
And let all who are weary; Let them come to the Lord:
All who labor, without rest; How can your soul find rest
Except for the Lord?

And let all the poor; Let them come to the water
Bring the ones who are laden; Bring them all to the Lord:
Bring the children without might; Easy the load and light:
Come to the Lord

Thank you for the invitation you give me, Dad, to come to the water. Your water quenches my thirst to the uttermost and even the longing I have for it is because of you. 

Indeed, except for the Lord.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer