12 boys and a coach

Like many of you I watched the news out of Thailand with great anticipation as the boys and their soccer coach were rescued when the cave they were exploring was unexpectedly flooded. Not to be overly pedantic, but the events that surrounded their finding and subsequent rescue was not, in the strictest sense, miraculous. It was, however, a a reminder of the goodness and providence of God. There is no reason other than the divine grace and mercy of God that these boys and their coach should be alive. He is good. But that is not why I am writing today.

As I watched the rescue operation kick into full gear I couldn't help but notice the amount of people involved in rescuing these boys and their coach. I am sure there were more people than what has been reported helping with the operation, but many estimates put close to 200 people on the scene planning, swimming, putting themselves in danger, and one even dying, to save the Wild Boars. That, to me, is absolutely incredible. That, to me, is a sign of how much we as a people value life.

Human life has inestimable value.

Yet how many times do I just "exist" and give less than I can to the people that are closest to me. I mean, of course I would give both of my kidneys or even something that would kill me to save their lives, but what of my time? My energy? My will? The value of their lives is just as great as the boys' and yet my energies and prayers are often lacking. So sorely lacking.

God you know. You know how precious men and women are to you. I don't. If I did I would be a different person. A better man, husband, and dad. I'd be more like you and less like the world. Please help me. You are the only one who knows what I need to get a better glimpse of how valuable they are.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

Where are the good machines?

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04