The glorification of humility

It would seem rather strange and even a little antithetical to glorify humility. I mean, isn't humility the exact opposite of  seeking glory? I would say yes. For me. But not for God. God is right to seek his own glory and he does this through humility. In fact, I find this on display in one of the most amazing scenes in the entire Bible:


And when he [the Son] had taken it, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb. Each one had a harp and they were holding golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of God’s people.

 And they sang a new song, saying: 

“You are worthy to take the scroll and to open its seals, because you were slain, and with your blood you purchased for God persons from every tribe and language and people and nation. 

You have made them to be a kingdom and priests to serve our God, and they will reign on the earth.”
Revelation 5:8-10, NIV (emphasis mine)

I find this to be such a remarkable passage because of why Jesus was worthy to receive the scroll which many believe is sort of like the deed to all of creation. He was worthy because he submitted himself to death. What? Shouldn't he have been so victorious that he would not have tasted it? No, the humiliation of Christ on the cross is one of the central tenants of the faith and is so complete that he is glorified through it. 

His humility brought him to the highest position in heaven next to that of the Father. Does anything or anyone of any repute point to an alternative for me? Should I escape my own, daily, hourly humiliation to achieve his desire for me: the full realization of my own creation; my ultimate conformity to the image of Christ?

It is through daily dying that I live. It is through humble submission that I am brought high.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

Where are the good machines?

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04