She pursues me still

The big joke about the beginning of our relationship, if you can call it that, is that my wife had to ask me out a total of three times before I said yes. Now there are a couple of different interpretations of why that was the case, but needless to say I was a bit more passive than she was in seeking a relationship with her. Once I realized who she was then it was obvious that I needed to put a ring on her finger. Anyone in my place would have done the same. Recently, though, I realized that she pursues me still.

Last week I was on a plane heading back from a week long trip to Switzerland and France for some work-related activity and I was reading a book called The King of the Earth by Erich Sauer and there he relayed a story about a neophyte philosopher in the presence of Socrates. As he walked in stunned silence next to the great thinker Socrates finally broke the silence with the admonition, "Speak...so that I may know thee." 

And how much like him she is. 

As we spoke to each other over Skype at the end of my day and at the beginning of her evening she mentioned how much she was praying for me. How many times she bared her soul to her Father so that He would know her or, rather, that she would seek to be known by Him. His pursuit of me was made manifest in hers. His desire for me was given flesh and bone and the silence she pierced with her supplication was nothing less than pursuit. She chased after me and my absence, the miles between us, meant so little to her as she sought communion with Him on my behalf. She was who He is and His power and presence was her strength and mine.

Now I know the generalities of the prayer she offered for me, the way she sought me. I don't know the specifics of the words nor the times or frequency of her petitions, but this one thing I do know. Her words to Him allowed a window into who she is that I would have never known save the words she spoke. 

And the days and nights of my sojourn here are impregnated by the realization that she pursues me still for my good. Her highest thought of Him includes thought for me. Her highest pursuit of Him includes this pursuit for me.

And how much like Him she is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer