Prayer as participation in the divine nature

This thought just occurred to me and I am not even sure if it is worth articulating, but here it goes: when I pray I am imitating God. I am not sure if that is actually the case or not...I need to think about it a bit more, but I think that it bears serious consideration. I know that I acknowledge my "creatureliness" to the universe when I converse with God. There is not greater trumpet of my contingency and lack of control over anything than my prayer life.

Yet I can't help but think that I am acting, more than a little bit, like God did in Genesis 1:26 and 3:22 when I converse with the Father in the name of the Son and in the power and direct supervision of the Holy Spirit. I can't help but think that the conversations that the members of the Trinity had and continue to have with each other are, in the most meager way imaginable. something like the conversations that I have with Him.

In fact, it seems to me that I can, with little effort, extrapolate this participation in His nature when I talk to others. That may be a bit of a better picture of Him than a prayer, but I am not sure. At any rate I am sure that I will think about this some more and try to more accurately explain why I think that me talking with Him and others is actually an imitation of Him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

Where are the good machines?

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04