My run in with the law

Last night I was riding a golf cart around the Greece Little League ball fields giving people rides and selling drinks. Sheriff Patrick O'Flynn flagged me down and hilarity ensued:

The Sheriff: "Do you have any water?"

Me: "Yes sir. That will be $1.50."

The Sheriff: "$1.50!!?? That's highway robbery." [Irony of him being a law man and me serving him from a non-road-legal golf cart noted]

Me: [Handing him the bottle and taking his $2.00] "This is the best water you will ever drink."

The Sheriff: "Keep the change for the till."

Me: "Thank you, sir."

It is experiences like this that make me wonder why I ever dread doing anything. It was a warm night and I was not looking forward to spending it away from my family, but who knew I would be driving a golf cart around peddling drinks and giving rides to people that were, in and of themselves, interesting as well. Besides, like my Dad, I like to talk and be around people. It was also nice to make some significant connections last night with the kids and their parents. I got to ride around with a couple of the boys (sometimes with both of them at once) and learned a whole lot about them. I even got home to see the second half of Batman on MeTV (villian="Riddler") and see the boys off to bed. Not bad for a night I was not looking forward to and one that I will remember for a while.

Thanks, God, that I got to spend one of Your Summer evenings among people You love and that I didn't get the sunburn I was thinking I was going to get.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

Where are the good machines?

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04