Jumping Matchbox cars

While I was worshiping with the church on Sunday a picture flashed into my mind that connected my life with God in a way that I hadn't thought of before.

One of my favorite pictures that has been taken on me (I sound a bit full of myself here don't I?) is one where I am with a "then" preschool boy and we have just employed a ramp that we had just constructed to launch a matchbox car into the air. We are looking at each other, mouths wide open, in total amazement at how well the ramp worked. As I recall the picture we, literally, have the same expressions on our faces as we revel in what the car had done. I think my joy was more in the connection that I had made to this boy and the laughing and smiling that we could do together as we built some semblance of a relationship around the common experience we were having. Both he and I were absolutely loving it and from, maybe, only slightly different angles.

As that picture played in my mind I wondered. I wondered how many simple times I have been thrilled about and lifted up to God's attention as if He hadn't planned it so long ago. I wondered if He got so excited during those times that we had the same expression on our faces (I am speaking anthropomorphically here)?  I could almost feel Him clapping His hand down onto my shoulder and, laughing right along with me, and exclaiming "I know. Isn't it marvelous?" I wonder if he was thrilled, not so much with what I was bringing Him, but the fact that we were together in a love relationship? His condescension to me was evident in the direction my mind was going and I had that same lump in my throat that I have when I realize I am dearly and desperately loved.

My God feels it all and, as I serve Him, I pray that I will be moved by the same things that move Him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

Where are the good machines?

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04