Money is not an idol

I had a chance to preach at the Monroe County Jail last night and my message was centered around the concept of idols of the heart that is found in Ezekiel 14:1-8. On my way home from the service I got to thinking about idols in general. This may be a bit inarticulate (ok, what isn't from me) and not that well-developed (ibid) but as I thought I  something came to me: money, or anything else for that matter, is not an idol. Now I can stand to be corrected on this one but there is a reason that I am thinking along this line.

When I fashion a god out of something, and I do because my heart is an idol factory, I am doing it because I am proud. I am attempting to depose God from His rightful place as Creator, Redeemer, and Sustainer and place an object or person on that throne that is not a god. Money doesn't do that. My family doesn't do that. I do that. So where is my trust? It is not in money at all. In fact, it is in my ability to both choose and create a god

So, where is the idol? Firmly planted in myself, my will, my opposition to God...in other words, my pride. Money, or family, or anything else that I shove in God's face and proclaim, "Here is your rival!" has no power save the strength I give it. There is no idol other than me. And I worship me far too much.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer