A call to come and die

There is no possible way that I could die to myself with any amount of regularity if it wasn't for the work of the Holy Spirit in my life. We are involved in a couple of situations (one a bit more private than the other) where God is serving, on a silver platter, an unprecedented opportunity for some fellow believers to die to themselves. I know that when I talk about dying to myself it often is in the context of not sitting down when there are other things to do or not spending $300 on a used snowblower when there are other things we need to invest in as a family...those are the normal things and they are presented to me every day.

Every once and a while, though, God brings a situation into my life that shakes me; staggers me at times. And, along with the situation (usually it is some type of conflict) He offers me an invitation to a deeper more profound relationship with Him that can only be accepted by dying to myself. To my shame I have often rejected His invitations. Yet, when I have accepted them, well, there are no words to describe the result as I have become even more set apart for Him to build His Kingdom and have fallen even more deeply in love with Him.

I want that for the people that are involved in these situations as well. And it is hard to see them messing it up because I know what has happened in my life when I tossed the invitation, the call, to die. I pray that the Spirit wakes them up and that they grab a hold of it. No matter how much it chafes or burns - if they would simply grab a hold and hang on He will show Himself to them in ways that will blow their minds. Much like He has done for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

Where are the good machines?

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04