Thankfully they close the door

An alternative post title could be "The Daily Guffaw."

Every working day at 9:00 a.m. our creative group in my place of employment gathers to update each other on the work that is to be performed that day in an effort to provide direction to and coordination with each other concerning it. More often than not the place where they are gathered erupts in laughter and gets me thinking about what they are actually accomplishing in there. On this particular day it also makes me lament the fact that I forgot my iPod and will not have the ability to drown out their laughter with anything slightly more appealing to my ears and mind. I have noticed that Monday's guffaws are fewer and farther between than Friday's. I have also noticed that they get a lot of people in that room.

On a separate and completely unrelated note I remember a Winnie the Pooh Thanksgiving video (or special...can't remember which) where Tigger was uselessly bouncing around saying "thank you" for this and "thank you" for that. Of course he mentioned more than "this" and "that" but he wasn't directing his thanks to anyone or even anything. He was just singing thank you...thank you...thank you...over and over again. Now, I want to cultivate thankfulness in my life and in the life of my family, but thankfulness in and of itself and as an end in itself can lead to confusion at best and idolatry at worst. It is also not very useful unless I want to show off to the people around me.

I would rather say "Isn't God great? He gave me [[fill in the blank]] because He loves me. I need to thank Him for this great gift." That way the focus is on Him rather than what He gave me. Of course this is easier said than done for me because when He gives I am truly thankful; when He takes away I am less than amused.

So, thank you, God, for the door closure insulating me from the effects of the Daily Guffaw. You know what I need and you never cease to provide it for me.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer