Not great but certainly fine

I had to cut quite a few baseboards last Saturday and Sunday and I think I did a better job overall than the last time I did them. Of course, I have a miter box and a hand saw (nothing mechanical) and I think that there were less pieces that I messed up than I am usually subject to. One thing I ventured into a little more was coping all of the inside corners rather than mitering them. The inside corners in our house are so deformed by paint that there is no way that they are square. When I cut the inside miters for the dining room I then needed quite a bit of caulk to make it look presentable.

This time I used the coping saw to get a rough cut of the profile of the molding and then used my Dremel tool to file it so that it would rest flush against the face of the butt joint. This worked out pretty well - not that they are perfect copes, but they are close enough that some paint and a bit of caulk will make them look fine.

I still need to cut the baseboards for the bathroom and detach, cut, and reattach the door casing. Once I do that I will be scoring some oak baseboards for two bedrooms that have needed it for a while now. I will be staining those before I get them attached to the wall so that will be an adventure. At any rate the hall and the entry way look a lot better than they did due, in large part, to my wife's stenciling job.

It is much more satisfying working on things together with my wife rather than us going off and doing our own thing. I am not sure we are cut out for doing absolutely everything together, but it is a nice change of pace to venture out together more often than not.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer