Could it possibly be better than NPR?

I do like listening to NPR during my commute, but lately, for some unbeknown reason, I am having a hard time getting AM 1370 in on my radio. I finally started listening to some "Let My People Think" podcasts that had been languishing for a while and found a particular point to be pretty interesting. The point had to do with a world views and Zacharias mentioned that, no matter who we are, we unswervingly hold to a prior commitment we have made to arrive at truth. I like the way this is put because it shows the impact of a world view on the life of an individual and starts to get at the heart of our acquisition of knowledge. It also shows me the necessity of the Gospel because it changes absolutely everything about an individual. It changed me and the way I view things and I have seen it change others as well.

At the tail end of the podcast Zacharias also made the point that fruitful discussions can be held here. I find that fascinating as well. I can see that a couple of people with radically different world views could very easily talk past each other and, in the process, become very frustrated with one another. It can be so frustrating at times that topics of a deeper philosophical nature (or even religious or political) can be forbidden in an attempt to avoid any absence of peace. Yet, the fact is, the stuff of life and the issues of the heart are there in the deep subjects and to avoid talking about them is a trap set by Satan himself.

That is where the discussions of one's world view can come into play. Rather than talk about the conclusions that an atheist, for example, has come to as a result of their epistimological framework, I can see that we can have a great talk about the commitment that they have made to that framework and the implications of the commitment they have made. This would elevate the discussion beyond "There is a God...there is no God" and into one where we can come to a deeper understanding of our respective world views that lead us to radically different conclusions about the world around us. We may even have the mettle to tackle some of the barriers that may lead us to favor one view over the other. The common ground we stake out could even lead to the softening of our hearts toward one another and allow us to fall deeper in love with one another.

That, in and of itself, could be the loosening of the foothold that the Enemy has established for there is no more powerful force in the universe than genuine, focused, love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer