Best practices

One of the great things about the internet is getting "best practices" for everyday jobs around the house. For example, our sink-mounted garbage disposal has given up the ghost and I am going to be replacing it tonight. One of the tips I received on replacing the unit is to use clear silicone around the drain flange rather than plumber's putty. I picked up some at Home Depot yesterday when I got the replacement unit. Now, there is a chance that I will not need to replace the drain flange as I may just be able to hang the new unite from the exiting one that is installed, but if I need to replace the flange I will be sure to use the silicone.

There are numerous other tips and tricks that I have gleaned from a quick perusal of the web in preparation for a home improvement project. Some I have taken and some, quite frankly, just seemed like a lot of extra work. It is nice to have the web as a resource as I do not have to have all of the answers and it saves me from using the phone to get to people that may have done this type of thing before. I will let you know how the installation goes and if it turns out to be a descent into pure madness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer