Sean and iambic pentameter

I never thought I would hear a grammatical construct in the English language illustrated with anything anything more twisted than Sean's example...but I did this morning.

After Elizabeth Barret Browning's poem "How Do I Love Thee" to our attention and remarking that it is an excellent example of iambic pentameter our English teacher set us off on a task to construct our own. After a suitable interval she asked for us to share what we had come up with. Now, it was an accepted practice in the class that if Sean had something to share the rest of us would keep our hands down in deference to him. You see,the teacher never really liked to call on Sean for any type of substantial input. But, this day, we forced her to: his was the only hand raised in the air. With a mild sense of fear and regret she asked for his example and he let loose with a classic:

"I love to kill small furry animals."

It wasn't the perfect example, but it was perfect example for that time. It took us a while to settle down after that.

This morning my youngest son let loose with classic:

"Will screams like a girl. That's a sentence."

It immediately made me think of Sean, my childhood, and the road less traveled all at the same time. I haven't had to navigate the oft confused recesses of my mind in a long time. I fear that my youngest son is forcing my hand somewhat in this regard in a quest to understand him...much like the hand we forced my English teacher to play that day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer