Linux file server

I warned my wife that I was going to be blogging about Linux today. I think she appreciated the warning and didn't even give me the eye roll I have scome to expect when I geek out on her.

For some reason I thought it would be a good idea to create a Linux file server so that I could share a requirements database that I am maintaining. Of course (or maybe not so of course) the database is in MS Access and the clients that will be connecting to it are Java applications in a Windows XP environment. Of course this meant that I would have to install Samba to share files back and forth between the Windows and Linux boxes. I got it working all right, but there were a few hiccups along the way:
  • I first formatted the file system in Ubuntu as ext3. That was a bad idea as I kept getting access denied messages when attempting to write to the shared directory from Windows. To solve that dilemma I resized the ext3 partition down 4.6GB and then created a data partition formatting it as NTFS. That worked great.
  • I, originally, thought that I could configure Samba and created all of the data directories without the use of a GUI Samba client. That was a bad idea too. Note to self: if there is a GUI that makes configuration of a program easier use it.
  • I actually took the above note to heart and used a live CD version of gparted to resize the OS partition and create the data partition. It took a while to download the .iso and burn the CD, but once in it was very straightforward.
All of this to say that I can read and write to the shared directory now from the Windows and Linux boxes. I copied the requirements database to the directory on the Linux box, tweaked a configuration file, and can now access it from my Windows machine using the OSRMT client. I need to test it out on someone else's machine to see if I can grant them access to it as well.

Any volunteers?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer