I wonder if He feels the same way?

It's tough for me to think otherwise (or for me to want to think otherwise), but I wonder how many of the positive and negative feelings I have towards my children are felt by God towards me. My oldest son read a passage from Acts for the school chapel service on Wednesday morning and I know that he was excited about it and well-prepared. He has a growing love for the Bible and is pleased when he can relate something that is going on at home or in school to a passage he may have read or heard. Well, all reports are that he knocked it out of the park with his reading. That made me extremely proud of him and thankful that he has the opportunity, desire (especially desire) to want to do something like that and the commitment to do it well.

And then I wonder, when I preach, teach, love, pick up something off of the floor, is God as pleased with me as I was with my son? I would like to think that His feelings towards me are somewhat more than perpetual disappointment that I didn't do this or that in my preparation or say this or that when I taught, but it is hard for me to put my finger on why I should think that He thinks positively of me at all. I know that He is impressed (and only impressed) with His Son and that I don't impress Him, but what about making Him happy, or putting a smile on His "face"? Has that ever happened? Do I even have the capability of doing that?

So much of my "daddishness" is wrapped up in my feelings toward my sons...is God that vulnerable? In some ways I wish He were, but then there is a part of me that would relish the stability of the opposite.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer