Between Windows and Tux

Another technology post today. I have one monitor. Well, actually I have two monitors but the one that is sitting under my desk (behind me to the left) is much too big for this much too lazy person to lug out and plop on top of my desk. Besides, it takes up a lot of room and hides the dust bunnies that seem to accumulate in the left-hand corner of my desk. We wouldn't want that to continue now would we? Well, I have two systems now that I need to administrate and I needed to find a way to get to by Linux box (Ubuntu 8.10) from my Windows XP laptop so that I could start the VNC server on it. That way I would be able to run the VNC client that I have installed on XP to get the GUI I need to do all the Linuxy stuff I want.

Enter SSH. It is nice that Windws XP comes with an SSH client already so that it did not require the installation of another application to administer my systems. Through this client I can connect to the Linux box through the command line, log in, start the VNC server, and then mount the drive partition that contains by database that I share with at least one other person right now. Of course, I don't even really need to start the VNC server on the Linux box as I could definitely do all of the tasks detailed above through the SSH client, but I do like to have the window to the Linux box open for other tasks that I may like to perform on it.

All this to say that OS agnosticism is one thing that I am truly interested in. I hate to have all of my eggs in one basket (whether that is a Windows or Linux basket) and I think it is valuable to spread things out a bit to deliver key bits of infrastructure. We'll see how long this lasts, but it is at least nice that it can be done.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer