Beginning all over again

This install of the new version of Ubuntu (9.04) has not gone as smoothly as the last one. I have a feeling that a lot of it has to do with me, but there must be something that has to do with the media/software that I am just not catching. I have tried numerous times to burn the .iso file to a couple CD-RWs that I have had lying around for a while but that has not gone well at all. Then I tried to install from a different partition on the hard disk and that turned out to be too much work to set up and get running. Finally, now, I burnt the .iso file very slowly to a CD-R and it looks like things are going well.

All that to say how glad I am that I took a co-worker's advice and created a partition for my data and one for the OS itself. I am making a requirements database available over the network through this Linux box and I would have been smoked if I has the OS and the data in the same partition as I have installed and re-installed I don't know how many times. Of course I could have used the Live CD version of the OS (a great idea in and of itself) to get the data off of the drive, but this is a much cleaner approach to the whole thing anyway. This way I could actually have multiple operating systems on the OS partition if I wanted all accessing the same data off of the other partition.

I may be an old dog, but new tricks are great to come by. Of course that means that I have to be teachable. That's a whole nother discussion.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer