Whether I like it or not

Whether I like it or not God has created me in His image. And He commands me to be like Him for my good and so that I will not be frustrated in what I was created to do: worship Him through reflecting and enjoying Him.

He commands me to worship Him because the Son worshiped the Father and the Spirit holds their purposes in much more than a crisp and enduring focus. He commands me to love Him because of the relationship that He continues in with His Son and the Spirit in eternity. He commands me love my neighbor because of the affection He shows them every day through the provision of the sun, rain, and, most importantly, salvation. He commands me to thank Him because the Son showered thanksgiving on His Father even as he broke bread with his apostles before his crucifixion. He commands me to be holy because He is holy and He wants me to fully partake of one of His communicable attributes.

More than His deserving of all of my being (which He definitely deserves) He pursues my good in good commands. He created me in His good pleasure, and commanding me according to His good pleasure is an act of supreme love. For, left to my own devices and subjected to His ignorance (no matter how sweet I pretend that would be), I would burn in Hell wondering why He made me at all. But here I am. Made in the image of the Holy Trinity. And how can I keep my heart from singing?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer