Traveling without the ones I love

I have blogged before about this strange sense of place that I have. I love to see places and to know that, for example, I have driven a car on the 101 or seen the Hudson River. It gives me an indescribable feeling to have gone to the Smoky Mountains in Tennessee or to have seen the Pacific and Atlantic oceans. I am here in the Palmetto State (South Carolina) and can put another notch in my belt so to speak of places that I have been. We have had great weather down here and it has been a largely satisfying experience save the fact that I am here on business. And, also (and so much more so) that my family is not here with me. They magnify the pleasure of my travel and solidify the feelings I have as I experience a place. They are so dear to me and as I am walking through an airport and see a family with young children (young boys especially) I get a sense of loneliness in my heart. Sometimes it quite literally takes my breath away, albeit for a short second or two. I can't ruminate on it long because it would quickly overwhelm me. The ones I love are a part of my life that is irreplaceable. No amount of work, fun, friends, or drugs could take their place.

And then I wonder if this is how my Father feels about me. Knowing the way He pursued me I have to think that He loves me a great deal. And then I wonder why He does. And then I thank Him that He does and leave the scrutiny of both His method and motives to Him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer