Sticker club train wreck

No one said I was a brilliant child. - Mark Dudley, Almost every day

No one should underestimate my ability to take something that should be fun and easy and make it into an absolutely craptastic experience. Yesterday we finally got around to having Will fill out the forms for a sticker club that he was tagged in the mail for. I am sure you're familiar with these types of things, but basically he had to send some stickers to one of his school friends and then fill out six forms to send it to six of his friends in hpoes that he'll get some stickers out of the deal. That part seemed to go pretty smoothly and I was happy with our progress. Well, it came time for the envelope stuffing and this is where things went horribly wrong.

I had previously made 12 copies of the letter that he needed to fill out and send to his friends, but thought that, perhaps, I made too many copies. After all, he is only filling out six of these forms to give to his friends. Well, the thought never occurred to me that he needed to not only put a filled out form in the envelope, but he also needed to put a blank one in there for his friends to copy and fill out. In other words, I didn't read the directions. Well, after my wife addressed the envelopes and stamped them I proceded to stuff and seal them...with half of the required forms.

I then triumphantly announced to my wife that "I didn't need the extra 6 forms that I copied." She then proceded to clue me into the error of my ways which then produced the sinking feeling in my stomach that comes with the realization that I just did something incredibly dumb. Undaunted I went to the internet to find out how to unseal an envelope. Well, suffice it to say that sticking all of the envelopes in a freezer overnight did not yield the desired result.

This morning I got the brainstorm (thanks, God) to peel the stamps off with a razor blade, re-address a new set of envelopes, and put them out for my wife to mail later. I do feel a sense of accomplishment but also am living the reality that I am not a brilliant child, life is hard (but it's harder when you're stupid), and that I make things a whole lot more complicated than they need to be.

Phew. Does anyone want a cookie?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer