At long last...

OK, with more than a little fear and trepidation I decided to try, yet again, to get the wireless networking working on my laptop, a Dell Latitude D610, running Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex) and I was able to do it. Of course I needed some help from my friends on the Internet (I do have them you know), but here is what I did:

1. the first thing I did was download, extract the b43-fwcutter tarball and build it using these commands:

wget http://bu3sch.de/b43/fwcutter/b43-fwcutter-011.tar.bz2

tar xjf b43-fwcutter-011.tar.bz2

cd b43-fwcutter-011

make

cd ..

2. I then downloaded and extracted the firmware from this driver's tarball using the following commands:

export FIRMWARE_INSTALL_DIR="/lib/firmware"

wget http://mirror2.openwrt.org/sources/broadcom-wl-4.80.53.0.tar.bz2

tar xjf broadcom-wl-4.80.53.0.tar.bz2

cd broadcom-wl-4.80.53.0/kmod

sudo ../../b43-fwcutter-011/b43-fwcutter -w "$FIRMWARE_INSTALL_DIR" wl_apsta.o

3. I then rebooted and could see all of the wireless networks that I could connect to.

I then proceeded to raise my hands in the air like all good geeks do when they have bent the all-too-often object of their scorn (i.e. the laptop that is "running" Linux) to their will.

OK - on to the next challenge...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

Where are the good machines?

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04