Continual condescension

I was privy to a sermon this past weekend that got m mind wandering into the waters of the condescension of God himself. I wondered what it would be like if God had not condescended to us in the manner that he did. There is no reason why he should have revealed himself to us through his Son becoming a human being, or speaking to us in Aramaic, or leaving his early followers with enough knowledge to spread his name throughout the earth...but he did.

Not only did he do this, but he communicated to us in such a manner that my boys can understand the message. They don't need a PhD in theology or philosophy to understand what he is saying to them. The stories and pictures that he uses are, dare I say, too familiar to me and it somehow pleases him to not only reveal our condition to us through the use of them, but he reveals himself to me through their use as well.

His love for me and for the world drove him to condescend to me and continually condescend. This smacks of extreme vulnerability to me...indeed, I have the power to grieve the Spirit. But the power behind this condescending God is even more remarkable. Not only does he do it, he wants to do it and had the power to have chosen the exact opposite. Should he have remained aloof and unmoved by my plight? In so doing he would have still, rightfully, received my praises as I burned in Hell.

But he condescended and Hell is no longer my reward. Dust is no longer my rest.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer