Stories and why I tell them

I like to tell stories to my boys. I especially like to tell them stories about growing up and how my brothers (mainly) and I liked to whittle away the time we had been given. Most of the stories involved mischief of some sort because, well, I was mischievous. Others are more moralistic, but I would be lying if I said that those held their interest as much as the ones that are full of mischief.

I guess I like stories so much because I have seen the power of them first-hand. I remember one year (I forget which) when I was walking in one of the All Star "resorts" in Disney world and I noticed a table where there were three men and a young boy. I think the boy was probably 12 or 13 and he was listening so intently to a story that was being told by one of the men. I have a feeling that it was a tad off-color, given the reaction that the other men had to his telling of it, but the boy was reacting to it just the same. I am sure that if the man was providing some kind of lecture on even an interesting topic, the boy would not have been as enthralled as he was.

Of course I want my boys to learn to love God and neighbor. Part of the development of that (or those?) love relationship is the development of a relationship with me. I find that stories are an awesome way to connect with them even if the message of the story is somewhat nonsensical or even frivolous. I love to tell them stories as a point of connection and need to do it more often.

It is just so amazing to see their eyes when I say "You know, boys, I remember when..."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer