"Above my pay grade"

In a moment that will live in political perpetuity Senator Barack Obama was asked when human life began. He had some roundabout things to say and then finally mentioned that to make that determination was "above his pay grade." That is a refreshingly honest thing to say and one that strikes deep into my dilemma and place in this universe.

Making that determination is above my pay grade too and, without the revelation afforded to me by God Himself, I would not have the ability to make that determination either. I am finely tuned to describe what "is" in incredible detail. God even placed inquisitiveness in my heart but, tainted by sin, my inquisitiveness is misguided and often fails to determine the right facts. In addition to this is the fact that I am awful (I mean putrid!) at determining what ought to be. In fact, I run in the other direction too many times when I am called to do the right thing. That has an impact on my respect for life and finding facts that would lend rational support to it.

As soon as I see that God created life and commands me to respect it I can interpret the facts that lend or detract to its respect in the proper light. One would argue, correctly, that a right relationship with God doesn't impact the scientific study of the origin of human life. However, a right relationship with God does impact the way I interpret what I am seeing and lends a certain amount of caution when respect for life issues are approached.

I still can't get over the fact that there are a lot of people that will say that they don't know when human life begins (Obama included) but have no issue with abortion. Wouldn't the fact that they don't know what (or whom) they are killing in the womb give them pause about doing it? That is the type of rational thinking that, I think, should characterize the child of God and one that is enabled through a restored relationship with Him.

So, yeah, it is above my pay grade too. But thanks be to God that I am in a relationship with the One that cannot be hidden - nor from Whom anything can be hidden from.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer