Aquarium happenings

Well, it has been a bit since I have given an update about what has been happening in my son's aquarium, so here it is:
  • All the fish are doing fine. Currently we have 6 glowlight tetras, two corydoras panda catfish, and one otocinclus. They are all extremely active (especially the cories) and seem to have adapted well.
  • I am not impressed with the anubias hastifolia and have since read that it does much better in an emersed environment rather that a submersed environment like it is now. The growth seems to have stagnated somewhat. On the other hand the anubias coffeefolia is looking great.
  • I thinned out some java moss as it was getting clumpy and I think there was some rot going on. It looks much better now and I am looking for the pale green points to note new growth.
  • My java fern is not growing quickly but I think it is growing - it is still too small for my taste, but I hope that the holdfast spreading I performed on it a month back will help it root on the rock it is attached to (with a rubber band) and help the leaves develop more.
  • The elodea is doing well. It was floating for a while and I am now attempting to get it attached to the substrate in one corner of the tank. I still have some of it floating and hope to see some growth soon.
  • I removed the sponge filter from the tank because it was too big and also I was hoping to increase the amount of dissolved CO2 in the tank through the decreased surface agitation. This leaves me with a Penguin Bio-wheel Mini filter as the sole source of filtration. I had a brief uptick in the ammonia levels (to around 0.25 ppm) but that has been quickly taken care of by the bacteria in the bio-wheel. I measured no ammonia this morning thankfully.
So the grand experiment continues and I think that we are making progress. I am enjoying fishkeeping again if only in this little 10-gallon world that we are continuing to maintain for its inhabitants.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer