Gardening at night

There is an old R.E.M. song called "Gardening at Night" that has nothing to do with this post. In my mind when I I think of gardening at night it is usually in reference to an activity that is being engaged in at a time that is out of place. Like mopping the kitchen floor at 10:00 at night or browning ground beef at 3:00 in the morning. I am beginning to believe that in my life, as full as it is, there is no such thing as an activity that is "out of place" at any time of day or night.

I know that there is a rhythm that my body has and that I violate that rhythm at my own peril, but I am beginning to find that I need the beat of a different drum...or a different instrument altogether...more and more. It is almost like I have three lives - the one before the boys get up, the one at work, and the one after they go to bed. I am trying with all my might to not stretch it into 4 lives (after my wife goes to bed). I need to manage the lives I have better so that does not happen...or rather have my 4th life as the exception rather than the rule.

So if you ever see me weeding the garden by lantern-light know that I am trying to make the most of the hours that I am given. Or I am hurtling head-over-heals into the abyss.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer