Isn't it strange? Or isn't it just like me?

Isn't it strange?
Or isn't it just like me to change again.
I live in a fire or isn't it just like me...
The final hour.
- Ban the Game, Men Without Hats

Ban the Game, Men Without Hats, nor the Safety Dance has anything to do with this post, but I thought I would give some clue as to where the title of the post came from.

At any rate I was thinking about Captain Slappy today. You know, the guy who, with a couple good buddies, declared today "Talk Like a Pirate Day"? I updated my Facebook status today writing that I remember Captain Slappy with fondness not even realizing that Talk Like a Pirate Day was today. For some reason, he just popped into my conciousness. It was only in my subsequent searching on the web that I found out that the holiday he invented is, indeed, today.

It is absolutely amazing how the mind works. I remember a time when I was sitting in a social work class where the professor mentioned that there are life events that impact how we act or feel on certain days or in certain weeks or seasons. I guess if there was a tragic event during Christmas for example (as there was in my wife's life) it will impact how we approach the time or the people in our lives around that time whether it is in the concious or the sub-concious mind.

Just like me recalling Captain Slappy on this day - a day that was connected to him and that I knew about at one time - we recall happy and painful times in our lives and that impacts us whether we realize it or not. It is amazing how the mind works and how awful sin is. It can impact us for a lifetime...and still I flee into its arms? I need Him more than I know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer