Superhero geekery

I am not sure what it is but I was never drawn to individual superheros. As fine and powerful as Superman, Spiderman, and Wonder Woman are, I was more interested in them when they were part of a group. The Fantastic Four, the Justice League, or the Avengers, or even the Defenders (a non-group of sorts) were much more my style for some reason. I have not really analyzed any of this to any great extent, but I have a feeling it had to do with my orientation to cooperation (most of the time) or the fact that I never felt like I could make anything of anything on my own. It could also be due to the fact that I always fantasized ripping a single up the middle to drive in the winning run in a baseball game rather than the usual walk-off home run.

At any rate, my favorite superheros were definitely the ones that were off the beaten path: Captain America, Silver Surfer, Submariner, Mr. Fantastic, and even ROM the Spaceknight. I was never into comic books whole hog like some of my friends were, but we amassed quite a collection of them (especially the Star Wars series) and often bought them at the expense of other more important things. I remember one Mother's Day when....well, we won't go there today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer