Excellent humility

Build the Kingdom with a cattle prod
Tell the masses it's a message from God
- I Manipulate, Steve Taylor

How excellent it would be to receive a message from God that no one else has. How amazing it would be to have the God of the Universe single me out and convey to me a message that He wants the world to know. How zealous I would be in spreading this revelation for it would be its sole repository and expositor. It would be an incredibly satisfying experience and I would venture to guess that I would not be able to make enough of how wonderful it is.

How much more excellent, rather, is the knowledge that the revelation is known and is (at least in some manner) fixed? There is but one source and more people than I care to imagine have a more intimate knowledge of it than I ever will. How humbling it is that all of the connections, applications, and even caricatures of God must be held in subjection to the Word itself. And this so much so that if I have insight into the Word that has not already been articulated I ought to be wary of bringing it forth.

Excellence in exclusivity is now swallowed up by excellence in plurality. God knows how to humble me and I am glad He does. As I subject myself to His Word, by His design, my boasting is reduced, most assuredly and appropriately, to His Son and his finished work on the cross.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer