A wall, Job, and shutting up

Yesterday I had the chance to work outside quite a bit so that was satisfying. Around 3:00 in the afternoon we had a front move through and it was a powerful one. My wife and I scurried to get some things into the garage before the deluge and we could feel the cold coming. It was almost wall-like as the hot humidity of the day was pushed aside to make way for the cool that had already graced the Western part of the state. We just stood amazed at the power of the front to change things so drastically.

I am always reminded of Job chapter 37 whenever I see an approaching storm. The book has reached its climax and God is about to invade the space that Job and his miserable comforters have occupied for what seems like an eternity. Elihu hears the approaching storm and tells Job to prepare for something that I am sure even he had not envisioned.

Just as weddings remind me of the union of the church with the Bridegroom so approaching storms remind me of the God who often tells me to just shut up - much like He did with Job. In so doing, He calls me to holiness and saves me from myself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer