Garden happenings

I know the 1.5 of you that read this blog have had this question on your minds so here is an update on the garden this year:
  • My wife planted our yearly stock of impatients about three weeks ago and they really seem to be taking off now. I think we have fertilized them twice and it is starting to show. I mulched the beds where the impatients were patiently planted.
  • Our hydrangea are looking very good this year with some really nice leaving, but the variegated ones do not seem to be as robust as the all-green variety. I'll have to keep my eye on those buggers. We had one die that we planted last year and we'll look to get a replacement on that one soon.
  • We planted some new hosta out in the back side garden and transplanted another from the back closer to the house. We also got a very nice variegated one that went out towards the holly in the back. I love this plant and it will be my special project this year. Our hosta in the front are in need of division as they are getting a bit too big for the space they are allotted.
  • We planted some iris that we received from our next door neighbor out in the side-back garden as well.Obviously we are not expecting any blooms on them this year but I will take good care of them as they are a particular favorite of mine. We also have some nice blooms on the iris in the front and front-side gardens - so nice that they have to be supported by stakes.
  • Our lilies are coming up in the side garden and one has opened already. Hopefully we won't be needing the stakes for the iris once they get going because they need the support as well.
  • We planted some new clethra (summersweet) in the front garden this year as 3 out of the 6 plants we tried to establish last year died. I may look at getting some fertilizer to stimulate the root growth this year on the new plantings and use an all-purpose fertilizer for the ones that made it through the dry summer and harsh winter. Hopefully these guys will take. I am not all to thrilled with the leaving on the clethra that made it, bit I am hoping for them to begin in earnest soon.
  • As I was mulching I think I noticed a mum next to the solomon's seal we just planted in the front side garden. I'll keep my eye on it and, hopefully, we'll get some nice fall flowers this year.
  • The myrtle in our ground cover front garden are going great guns and the yellow summer flowers that spread like mad (no idea what they are) are starting to establish themselves nicely. They are on a collision course with the myrtle and we'll have to see who wins this battle of the Titans. That is, of course, if we can keep the lilies of the valley that our neighbor planted in check. I know...good luck.
We are in for some rain the next couple of days so we'll see what effect that has on all of this. In other words...go clethra go!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer