The magic of the mundane

I was thumbing through a book by John Piper called "Don't Waste Your Life" and I stopped on a couple of pages that talked about his college days. I was surprised to find that he came under the influence of Francis Schaeffer and C.S. Lewis much like I did during that time. I was also struck by the effect that Lewis had on him to celebrate life. Everything was a celebration to him right down to the sound of a ticking clock. I guess that he had found the magic of the mundane. I would like to sense that more often.

I put the youngest son in bed last night and told him that he needed to get to sleep because he had Beach Day at preschool the next day. I could tell he was excited about that and couldn't wait to experience it. He is not one to want to miss anything. He constantly asks questions about this or that and asks what we mean when we say something. Sometimes it is just to talk (like I do a lot), but a lot of the time it is because he loves life. He drinks it in more than the rest of our family combined it seems.

And what of it, Mark? Where are you in this celebration? Admittedly I am a wallflower most of the time. There are glimpses of it in my life (like the chaos of the Iron Chef night or the welcome smell of the approaching rain a couple of weeks ago), but I am nowhere near where I need to be. I want this to be developed in my life where I am almost "hyper-aware" of the art that I move in the midst of.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer