How far can (should) I push it?

I am teaching an adult bible class on a biblical approach to peacemaking and have wanted to push the envelope a bit, but have been reluctant to do it. In an earlier blog post I scribed some lyrics from The Smiths that were particularly relevant to the longing we humans were created with for relationships. I wanted to communicate those lyrics to my class but thought "better" of it. I did get to talk about the trinitarian economy a bit (one of my favorite topics) but felt like there was an honesty that was missing in the way I was going about the class.

One of the approaches I long to take with any class I teach is to allow my humanity to escape. I hate it when I seem more professorial than real and know that no one who knows me thinks that I have it all together. That was my motive for sharing the song and talking to the loneliness we sometimes feel even when the "bodies are everywhere and even when they talk so loud you have to shout" (thanks 77's). I know that I have changed and have been made more complete in this area as my motives would have been completely different even 5 or 6 years ago.

When honesty meets ministry where is the line? Is there a line? Is honesty in ministry always preferred? Am I being dishonest? Was I ministering on Sunday? Well, even though I am not "just a singer in a rock and roll band" (thanks Moody Blues), but I am just a servant in the Master's hands and these questions are just as perplexing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer