Something I wonder about

God calls me to intimacy and community. As much as I dislike it at times I need to be around people and with people and they need to be around me (as much as they dislike that at times). Relationships are hard and take a lot of work. They open me up to hurt and struggle but to them I must flee for through them I reflect the nature of the Trinity in much larger measure than I do on my own.

I firmly hold that the relationship I have with my wife, the most intimate relationship I have with another human being, is the most complete picture of God that this world can see save that found in the Scriptures. And what they can see in us that is not readily seen in the Scriptures is the emotional connection that we have with one another. They see both the smiles and the tears and see a picture of God that longs for relationship. Of course His relationship is self-contained within the members of Himself, but when he decided to create man in His own image we find that he created them "male and female" for anything less would be no image at all.

I can't image the concert of love and the chorus of purpose that the Father, Son, and Spirit share with one another. I get but a glimpse of that when all cylinders are firing with my wife and I and I am richer for it. I also feel a semblance of the longing the Son had when his Father forsook him on the cross when we disagree and are in conflict.

I can't shake the thought that one of the reasons that He brought her into my life to lead me into a deeper knowledge about Him and into a deeper intimacy with Him. Help me to be a faithful steward, Lord, of the relationship you have ordained for me with her.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer