The company line

I think one of the positive things I took away from my New Wave/Punk listening days in the 80's and 90's was a rejection of the company line. This produced a couple of things in me.

The first is that I was very comfortable when others espouse different viewpoints and even when they disagreed with mine. I was busy myself disagreeing with and digging deeper into answers and viewpoints that seemed too pat or accepted without rigorously examining why they were put forth in the first place.

Secondly I think that questioning the company line has helped me break out of the mold a bit. I doubt that I am a typical Baptist. Maybe that is due to me being raised in a culture that is more liberal than conservative - I don't know. I also think that it has to do with the viewpoints that were constantly expressed in the music I listened to and the literature I read. They were largely anti-authoritarian and I internalized a lot of that. I can remember taking notes in college and, when a viewpoint was expressed, I would use the word "as" rather than "is" denoting that this was an interpretation of a set of events rather than a declaration of truth.

There have been times when I need to be more obedient and disciplined, but I can see how God has brought me to this place. The perspective that He has given me about Himself has served me well as I teach, preach, and live. I just pray it brings Him glory for that is what I have been saved to do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer