MS Office 2007 trial version uninstall issues

Well, I uninstalled the Microsoft Office 2007 trial from my computer (I only had Access and Excel installed) and, what do you know, I couldn't start by currently installed version of Microsoft Outlook 2003. When I tried to start it I got a configuration window and a prompt for the location of a .cab file on the installation CD. Because I did not have the installation CD I just hit cancel and I received a message that the mapi32.dll file was either missing or corrupted. I thought that I would just place another mapi32.dll file in the place where it should go from another version of Outlook I had on my laptop but that did not fix the problem.

I went out to the web to find a solution and tried a number of different things. Eventually I found these instructions that proved to be just what I needed to solve the problem:

1. Go to the registry editor (use regedit) and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, Microsoft, Office, 11.0, {90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}, CDCache.

2. Change the value in the CDCache entry from 2 to 0.

3. Exit the registry editor and start Outlook.

Everything ran great after that. There were a few other things that I tried that I probably could have pursued further (especially with the the fixmapi.exe program in safe mode) but the registry hack seemed to do the trick.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer