Yeah, I miss it

When I tell people that I used to be a social worker and what I do now for a living people usually ask me if I miss it. The answer is yes. I miss it a great deal.

I was the Executive Director of a small organization (3 part-time employees not including myself) called Congregations in Ministry with the Elderly (here is my first website ever) and it was a fantastic experience. With all of the struggles that it entailed: the grant writing, volunteer recruiting, training, supervising...I wouldn't have traded any of it for the world. It was my first real job fresh out of my Masters program in social work at SUNY Albany and I got to cut my teeth on some real-world problems. We were even the United Way volunteer agency of the year in 1996. Woot woot!

Am I happier now than back then? I think so because the job that I am doing now has allowed my wife to be a stay at home mom and allowed my children to get a solid Christian education. But, if I could get paid what I do right now and go back to social work I would do it in a heart beat.


Powered by ScribeFire.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer