I heart decongestants

My head has felt like a water balloon ready to break and I have been caught up in the aftermath of the abuse of pseudoephedrine. Not that I have abused it, but all of the great pseudoephedrine products are behind the pharmacy counter now and are tightly controlled. I have to show my driver's license and sign a book just to get a couple of boxes. Even my beloved Chlortrimeton-D is officially off the shelves never to return. I now need to take a mixture of straight Chlortrimeton and some generic pseudoephedrine to get the deisred effect. Thankfully this is still something I can score pretty easily and it works great for me. I tried the new "PE" decongestants and they did not do much for me. I may give them another try, but only when I have a harder time getting the pseudoephedrine.

That having been said, I read an article that basically said the abuse of over the counter medications is on the rise. Growing up as sheltered as I did (not as sheltered as some, but my parents towed the line pretty tight) I would not have hung out with the crowd that would have been into this sort of thing. I would, most probably, have not had the information at my disposal to concentrate the products and abuse them.

That's altogether different now as I am sure that I could get that information from the comfort of my own family room over the internet. This information is everywhere and it is not a matter of avoiding "that place" or "those people". The battle is much tougher now and I am afraid that I would not have had the fortitude or the discipline to fight it had situations been different. I could easily have seen myself succumbing to the temptation to abuse those drugs.

All the more reason to pray for my boys, to model a drug-free life, and to make sure that I am an accessible parent and person.


Powered by ScribeFire.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer