sudo apt-get install

I have to say that I am liking Ubuntu more and more nowadays. I have been looking for a solution to an issue that I was having where the hard drive was developing some unusual clicking noises. I found out that I needed to set the advanced power management level to disabled using the "sudo hdparm -B 255 /dev/sda" command. That stopped the clicking (and reportedly extends the life of my hard drive), but I needed to get the command to run automatically as I want it to be as brainless as possible for me to set it.

Well, I came across a web page that instructed me to copy the command into a script file (99-hdd-spin-fix.sh) and copy that file into three different directories that will automatically run it upon suspend (/etc/acpi/suspend.d), start (/etc/acpi/sstart.d), and resume (/etc/acpi/resume.d). I tested it and it did not work initially but I forgot to make the script file executable (chmod 755 99-hdd-spin-fix.sh). After I did that all is well. I think.

I was rather concerned that I would not be able to run the script automatically due to the fact that I needed to run it as su rather than as the user I log in as (mark) and that required my admin password. Well, it turns out that the /etc directory is only writable by root (or su) so any scripts placed there have the su "stamp of approval" on them.

All that to say that I needed to install a package to look at the hard disk parameters to see if what I was doing was actually making a difference. Well, I typed in the command "smartctl -A /dev/sda" (which I was able to glean from a web page) to get the information and, wouldn't you know it, Ubuntu came back with a very helpful message stating that the command was not available, but I could type in the following command: "sudo apt-get install smartmontools" to install the package.

Error messages do not get any more user-friendly than that. And, sadly, this is exactly what I needed to enter the realm of Linux Geekdom.


Powered by ScribeFire.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer