Generosity

Not that long ago I wrote an entry about how inexact the standards are as I seek to please God in this new life He has given me. I still feel frustrated at times that I don't have a checklist of sorts to refer to as I look to live a holy life, but I am beginning to get in touch with the emotional aspect of it all a little more.

I was sucking up leaves last Friday in our front garden when I realized that the standard of, financially, "being rich toward God" (or generosity) is both freeing and challenging at the same time. There is a great amount of glorious freedom when the children of God serve Him as he holds all of us to the same standard. How that standard is measured out is the same, but it's material manifestation is different. I am not to be ashamed that my being rich toward God may be a paltry sum in comparison to another's. Rather, the freedom is there to rejoice that God is having His way in both of us when we give.

At the same time it is a challenge in that I have no idea what "generosity" and "sacrifice" looks like when I look at my check book. That is so difficult and the temptation for me is to open it up, show it to a pastor (or another mature believer) and ask them their opinion. But then that is all it is at that point, an opinion, and still it brings me no closer to realizing that standard in my life. I believe that I have reaped bountifully in my life. That should give me a clue as to whether I have sown generously or not. Again, though, it is only a clue.

Freedom and challenge...such wonderful tension. The Bible and even God Himself is filled with tension. Thanks be to God that He is and that tension will lead me to continually examine myself to see if I am in the faith.

Powered by ScribeFire.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer