The oldest and that brain of his

My oldest son blew me away last night with his Bible knowledge. Well, actually, he has done it a couple of times already. There was one conversation at the dinner table where he said he liked Abel better than Cain because Abel was a shepherd. I could have sworn that Cain was the shepherd, but he insisted. So, out came the Bible and we looked it up. Sure enough - Abel was the shepherd and Cain was the farmer. Good job, Son.

Last night when we were just about to wrap up bath time he asked me what the name Jacob meant. I knew what it meant but wanted him to tell me and he did. He said it meant "tricky" which is a good 1st grade translation of "he deceives" or, more specifically, "he grasps the heal". So I then asked him the stumper question (or so I thought) of what his name was changed to. Well, he got that one right too: Israel. We then talked about what Israel meant (struggles or wrestles with God) and how Jacob got the name. We also talked about who Jacob tricked, but didn't get into Laban and his deception of Jacob concerning Leah and Rachel for lack of time. On second thought maybe that was a good thing.

I am very impressed with him and with those that are pumping this Bible knowledge into his head. I pray, Dad, that it shapes his life as he looks to live it skillfully.

Powered by ScribeFire.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing will stand in the way of the Word

tightvnc keyboard mapping problem in Ubuntu 9.04

The Boys of Summer